You are here: Home - Discover Čačak - Faith tourism

Faith tourism

In the surroundings of Čačak churches and monasteries are found which are cultural and historic monuments of great significance. Special value is attributed to the monasteries of the Ovčar-Kablar gorge, which as a cultural and historic whole date back to the Middle Ages, and represent the particularity of our cultural and artistic heritage created over centuries. The narrative of the monasteries, the Ovčar-Kablar gorge, and events from the life of the Serbia people, provides ample motive for countless tourists to come and become familiar with this outstanding monumental heritage, and to enjoy the peace and beauty of the natural surrounding.

Monasteries and churches

Monastery of Blagoveštenje (the Annunciation)
It is located on an elevation above the present day settlement of Ovčar Banja. This is one of the rare monasteries in the Ovčar-Kablar gorge for which it is exactly known when it was built and who the founders were. The church was built in the architectural style of Ras, and ranks as the second most beautiful monastery in the Ovčar-Kablar gorge, right after the monastery of the Holy Trinity.  

  Church of Saint Sava – Savinje
This holy place is accessed by a steep footpath which leads from the railway station. At the bottom of the steepest cliffs of Kablar, in a recess in the rock, water springs and forms a reservoir of 2 – 3 litres in size. It is believed that this water, called Sava’s, is good treatment for the eyesight and headaches. A small church was built near the spring in 1938, beneath a rock. In it, monks from the Monastery of Preobraženje (the Transfiguration) perform religious service on holidays.

 
  Kađenica
The Kađenica cane is located on the right bank of the Zapadna Morava, one kilometre upstream from Ovčar Banja. The approach to the cave is landscaped, and the main hall, vaulted with natural cave ornaments, is simultaneously a sacral monumental space.
 
 
  Monastery of Nikolje (of St. Nicholas)
The Monastery of Nikolje, the oldest church among the Ovčar-Kablar monasteries, was built on the slopes of the Kablar Mountain, on the left bank of the Zapadna Morava River. Based on architectural features, it is assumed to have originated in the Middle Ages, most probably towards the end of the 14th century, i.e. early 15th century. In the research of the Monastery Nikolje, records of manuscripts are invaluable, about the monastery, its history, and important head monks. The oldest and most significant manuscript is written on parchment, the famous Gospels of the Monastery of St. Nicholas.
 
 
  Monastery Uspenje (of the Assumption)
The Monastery Uspenje is located on an elevation above the Monastery of Jovinje, and it is visible from all sides of the gorge. It is mentioned in 1536 in Turkish sources.

  Monastery of Jovanje (of St. John)
It is located on the left bank of the Zapadna Morava river, on its largest meander. It is dedicated to the birth of St. John the Baptist. On the basis of features in the style it is assumed that the monastery was founded in the 16th century.

 
  Monastery of the Holy Trinity
The church of the Monastery of the Holy Trinity is the most beautiful hose of worship in the Ovčar-Kablar gorge. The monastery is situated on the wooded south-western slopes of the Ovčar mountain. It was never established who built it, nor when. Based on the latest discoveries rooted in Turkish surveys, this monastery originated in the second half of the 16th century. Like all monasteries in Serbia, this monastery also suffered devastation towards the end of the 17th century.
 
  Monastery of Preobraženje (of the Transfiguration)
The Monastery of Preobraženje is today located on the right side of the Zapadna Morava river, on the northern slopes of the Ovčar mountain. Opposite the monastery, across the river, is the railway station in Ovčar Banja – where the monastery once stood – below the cliffs of Kablar. The first mention of the Monastery of Preobraženje in written sources is linked to the year 1525. The old monastery was demolished, with the permission of  Prince-Bishop Sava of Žiča, in order to build the railway towards Užice. There are numerous records on the consequences befalling the people who permitted and ordered the demolition of this monastery. Bishop Nikolaj Velimirović put forward an initiative in 1938 to build a new Monastery of Preobraženje. The building is now square in plan, with a low altar apse 

 
  Monastery of Sretenje (of the Visitation)
The Monastery Sretenje is situated in exceptional natural surroundings, on plateau below the peak of Ovčar. The absence of reliable proof induced people into the creation of a legend regarding the origin of the monastery. Based on research to date, it is believed that the monastery originated in the 16th century, which is when it is first mentioned, but the first written record shifts the date of construction by a few decades, and maybe even a whole century earlier. Surviving architectural shapes of the house of worship point to the style of building towards the end of the 16th century. The monastery has been demolished and burned a number of times in the past. It was only restored in the 19th century, thanks to the monk, and later Bishop Nikifor Maksimović.

 
  Monastery of Vaznesenje (of the Ascension)
It was built on the northern slopes of the Ovčar mountain. Because of its position in the gorge it is not visible to travellers in the area.

 
Monastery of  Vavedenje (Presentation of the Virgin Mary)
It was built at the very entrance into the gorge. Features of the style of original parts of the house of worship indicate that the monastery was built in the 16th century.

 
Monastery of Vujan
It is situated in the slopes of the Vujan mountain, and is 6 km from Čačak. It is dedicated to the Holy Archangel Michael. The monastery is located in the village Prislonici, on the wooded slopes of the Vujan mountain. It visually dominates its picturesque surroundings.

 
Monastery of Ježevica
It is located in the village of the same name in the surroundings of Čačak. The house of worship is dedicated to St. Nicholas, and tradition has it as an endowment of King Milutin.

 
  Monastery of Trnava
This interesting house of worship is located in the village of Trnava, at the spring of a river of the same name on the slope of the Jelica mountain. It is dedicated to the Annunciation.

 
 

The Virgin Mary of Gradac in Čačak – Cathedral Church of the Ascension of Christ
The church is located in the very city centre of Čačak. The founder is Duke Stracimir, the brother of Grand Duke Stefan Nemanja. The house of worship was built from 1180 to 1190. The plan of the church is rectangular, 29.75 m long. Architecturally, it is a very spacious house of worship, with a three-part altar section on the eastern side, with bell towers, and a central dome spanning 12 metres.